Mr Ram Venkatesh was appointed to Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust in 2005 as a Consultant in Knee Reconstructive Surgery and is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Leeds. His Leeds Private Knee Clinics are at Spire Hospital, Leeds and Nuffield Health, Leeds.
Mr Venkatesh is a specialist in arthroscopic (key-hole) knee surgery and knee replacements. He manages knee sports injuries, performs meniscus repair, ligament reconstructions, cartilage repair including microfracture, stem cell cartilage repair and autologous chondrocyte implantation and patellofemoral joint surgery. He also performs osteotomies and unicompartmental knee and patellofemoral replacements for localised knee arthritis and performs total knee replacements.
Mr Ram Venkatesh graduated in Medicine from Madras, India, in 1991 and then did a masters programme in Orthopaedic Surgery in Kolkata, India. Here he was awarded the Presidents Gold medal by the West Bengal Orthopaedic association.
He then did his higher surgical training in the UK training extensively in Knee surgery both in Joint Replacements and Arthroscopic Knee Surgery. He trained as a Senior Registrar under Mr Neil Thomas and then completed his training doing a BASK recognised fellowship in Knee Surgery at Royal Bournemouth Hospital with Mr Nick Fiddian.
Mr Venkatesh is an Executive Committee member of the British Association for Surgery of the Knee.
Mr Venkatesh is a member of the Steering Group for producing the BOA document – Primary Total Knee Replacement – A Guide to Good Practice.
Mr Venkatesh is a faculty member at The Royal College of Surgeons of England Knee Arthroscopy Course.
Special Research Interests
- Meniscal repair and Cartilage Repair
- High flexion in knee arthroplasty
- Effect of TKR design on function and wear in knee arthroplasty in association with Professor John Fisher
- Clinical advisor for Tissue Engineering projects, University of Leeds
- Graft fixation in ACL reconstruction
- Arthroscopy assisted treatment of Tibial Plateau Fractures
- Accelerated Knee Rehabilitation
- Arthroscopic Meniscus Surgery: A national Society Treatment Guideline and Consensus Statement. The Bone and Joint Journal. Vol 101-B No 6.
- Can the radiopaque marker in surgical swabs scratch orthopaedic implant surfaces?
Theodorides AA, Stewart TD, Venkatesh R.
Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2018 Sep 29.
- The use of history to identify anterior cruciate ligament injuries in the acute trauma setting: the ‘LIMP index’.
Ayre C, Hardy M, Scally A, Radcliffe G, Venkatesh R, Smith J, Guy S.
Emerg Med J. 2017 May;34(5):302-307.
- The anterolateral ligament of the knee: unwrapping the enigma. Anatomical study and comparison to previous reports
J Orthop and Traumatol. J Kosy, A Soni, R Venkatesh and V Mandalia. Feb 2016
- Current concepts in articular cartilage repair. Review. Journal of Arthroscopy and Joint Surgery 2014.Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 59-65. Rohit Rambani, Ram Venkatesh.
- Practical Procedures Elective Orthopaedic Surgery. Peter V. Giannoudis. Publisher-Springer.
- Chapter 18 Knee Arthroscopy – Ram Venkatesh
- Chapter 19 Knee Arthroscopic Partial Meniscectomy – Ram Venkatesh
- Chapter 20 Arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Reconstruction – Ram Venkatesh and George Tselentakis
- Chapter 21 Arthroscopic Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Reconstruction – Ram Venkatesh
- Chapter 22 Posterolateral Corner (PLC) Repair – Ram Venkatesh
- Principles of Surgical Management of Musculoskeletal Conditions. R Venkatesh. Chapter for Best Practice & Research, Clinical Rheumatology. Editors: Brooks and Conaghan. Elsevier.Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 483–498, 2008
- Basic Techniques in Arthroscopy of the Knee. Edition 3, 2012. Royal College of Surgeons of
England Course Handbook. Editor
- Cost Analysis of periprosthetic fractures: a prospective study. R Rambani, F Qamar, R Venkatesh, E Tsiridis, P Giannoudis. BJJ. Proceedings. 94B Supp XVI. 1 Apr 2012
- Financial of implant cost in the management of periprosthetic fractures. R Rambani, E
Tsiridis, J Timperley, G Gie, R Venkatesh. BJJ. 93B. Supp I. 1 Jan 2011
- A novel and non-destructive method to examine meniscus architecture using 9.4 Tesla MRI. Wang M, Radjenovic A, Stapleton TW, Venkatesh R, Williams S, Ingham E, Fisher J, Jin Z. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010 Nov;18(11):1417-20.
- Discrepancy in Surgical Coding. Who is the ultimate loser. R Rohit, Z Gamie, S Graham, N Manidakis, R Venkatesh. BJJ. Othopaedic proceedings.92B. Supp IV.2010.
- Periprosthetic femoral fractures around hip arthroplasty: current concepts in their management. Tsiridis E, Pavlou G, Venkatesh R, Bobak P, Gie G.Hip Int. 2009 Apr-Jun;19(2):75-86.
- Principles of Surgical Management of Musculoskeletal Conditions. R Venkatesh. Chapter for Best Practice & Research, Clinical Rheumatology. Editors: Brooks and Conaghan. Elsevier.Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 483-498, 2008
- Wii knee. Robinson RJ, Barron DA, Grainger AJ, Venkatesh R. Emerg Radiol. 2008 Mar 14
- Latest Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery- Venkatesh R, Timothy J. New Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. Rheumatology in Practice 2007,Vol 5(3):4-6
- MRSA and MSSA septic arthritis in adults- a comparison of clinical presentation and outcomes. S Al-nammari, R Venkatesh. Archives of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery. 2007 Sep;127(7):537-42. Epub 2007 Jan 27
- Minimal Invasive techniques in the management of tibial plateau fractures- R Venkatesh. Current Orthopaedics: mini-symposium. 20(6); Dec 2006:411-417.
- The effect of psychological distress upon self-reported disability and Surgical Outcomes in carpal tunnel syndrome- JL Hobby, R Venkatesh, P Motkur J Bone and Joint Surg. Br. 87-B: 2, 196-200.
- The effect of psychological distress upon self-reported disability and Surgical Outcomes in carpal tunnel syndrome- R Venkatesh, JL Hobby. J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings, Sep 2004; 86-B: 318.
- The effect of age and gender upon symptoms and surgical outcomes in carpal tunnel syndrome. JL Hobby, R Venkatesh, P Motkur J Hand Surg [Br] 2005 Dec;30 (6):599-604.
- Comparison of two methods of Femoral fixation for primary Four Strand Hamstring ACL reconstruction- NP Thomas, RK Kankate, H Pandit R Venkatesh J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings, Nov 2004; 86-B: 447.
- Long term follow-up of total knee arthroplasty. Is it necessary? R Venkatesh NJ Fiddian J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings, 2005; 87-B:supplement 2: 155.